Langport is a small town and
civil parish, situated in the County of Somerset. It is 10 miles
north-east of Ilminster, 13 miles south-west of Glastonbury, 14
miles north-west of Yeovil, and 15 miles east of Taunton and
therefore geographically very much the heart of Somerset. The name
Langport appears to derive from the
Anglo-Saxon for 'long port' and the town lies on the east bank of
the River Parrett, at the point where that river is joined by the
River Yeo. Langport and the contiguous village of Huish Episcopi
have a number of interesting shops, several super cafes and pubs, a
fine library, doctors' surgery, and primary and secondary schools.
The latter with a recently established a sixth form. Landmarks include the 14th Century
Hanging Chapel, the
15th Century Church of All Saints, and 18th Century 'Tudor House'
and 'Bow Yard Warehouse'. St. Mary's Church in Huish Episcopi is
also noteworthy because of its 30 metre tower dating back to 1500 and a rather fabulous stain glass window by Pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Burne-Jones. Further back in history, during the English
Civil War, the town was the site of the important
Battle of Langport. Today the town is part of the Somerton & Frome parliamentary constituency
and has a population of just over 1,000. Several interesting sites and attractions can be found just outside
the town. These include the
Burton Tower Monument, and
Stembridge Tower Mill, the last
surviving thatched windmill in England.